A hybrid-style CO2 laser cutting system for cutting and profiling sheets up to 4m x 2m has a highly rigid, high-precision drive system, which provides precise motion and position control
LVD Company has introduced the Orion 4020 as an expansion to its Orion Series Laser Cutting Systems. The hybrid-style CO2 laser cutting system is engineered for economical processing of large sheets up to 4m x 2m. The Orion laser cutting systems feature a highly rigid, high-precision rack-and-pinion drive system which provides precise motion and position control. This rigid design permits the machine to maintain high processing speeds without loss of cut quality.
Orion 4020 is part of the Orion product family, cost-effective machines offering the best features and performance available in a value-minded package.
* Fast set-up – Orion 4020 employs a simple beam delivery system comprised of three mirrors, ensuring easy alignment and a stable beam path.
The standard laser cutting head accommodates a 5in or 7.5in quick-change lens.
These water-cooled quick-change lenses can be installed or exchanged easily, using a self-centering system. Lens calibration is programmable and quick to achieve, said LVD.
A built-in capacitive height sensor automatically maintains a constant distance between the head and the plate, automatically compensating for any unevenness in the material.
For additional ease in set-up and loading, the machine table is positioned at a comfortable working height and offers full access and visibility on three sides.
Standard features include automatic cutting gas selection and automatic cutting gas pressure control with servo valve to further simplify machine set-up and operation.
* Cut quality is consistent – Orion 4020 is equipped with a high-pressure cutting head that produces exceptionally clean cuts, said LVD to manufacturingtalk.com.
A crash-protection system protects the head from damage after collision with the workpiece.
A total power control feature automatically adjusts the laser power in relation to the cutting speed, ensuring an optimal cut at every contour width and minimizing the heat-affected zone.
The machine’s edge function feature processes sharp corners cleanly, particularly in thicker materials.
Laser and CNC are integrated – Orion 4020 employs the highly reliable GE Fanuc RF excited fast axial flow CO2 laser.
The laser, CNC control, drives and motors are fully integrated, providing superior processing speed, high reliability, and low operating and maintenance costs.
The integrated GE Fanuc control provides perfect reproduction of programmed contours, claimed LVD, producing acute angles at high speed.
The laser power is matched to the vectorial speeds to achieve a constant cut width and a small heat-affected zone.
All parameters, diagnostic and start-up procedures are conveniently displayed on a single color screen.
The 32-bit control features powerful mathematical capabilities and an extensive material library.
* More control functionality – the Orion 4020 is also available as a ‘Plus’ version.
The Orion 4020plus provides automatic focal positioning and greater process control functionality in addition to all standard features found on the Orion standard series.
* Offline programming – optional CADMAN-L 3D offline programming software provides a comprehensive laser-cutting CAM package.
This includes an integrated 3D design and unfolding module, which allows easy importing of 2D and 3D designs, automatic unfolding and generation of flat patterns from 2D or 3D files.
CADMAN-L 3D also incorporates fully automatic, semi-automatic or manual nesting and optimizes cutting and machine parameters to maximize sheet utilization.
Advanced features include cutting path optimization, common line cutting and high-speed communications via Windows, networking or DNC link to maximize machine productivity.
* About LVD – the LVD Group is a leading manufacturer of a comprehensive range of sheet metal/plate working machine tools and software solutions, including laser cutting systems, punch presses, press brakes, guillotine shears and mid-level automation systems, integrated and supported by its CADMAN PC-based Windows compatible software.